Potato & Onion Torte
This dish is both beautiful AND delicious!
The layered flavors are also layered visually to make this the perfect dinner party item. The dramatic look Add summer quash or zucchini for a veggie packed version.
1 ½ pounds white Maine potatoes, thinly sliced
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 cups grated hard cheese like asiago, pecorino, gorgonzola or cheese of your choice
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup scalded milk
olive oil, salt, pepper, nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Place sliced potatoes in a bowl of cold water as you assemble the other ingredients.
3. Bring the milk just to the boiling point, then turn off the heat.
4. Prepare a deep baking dish by lining it with parchment paper to allow you to lift the finished torte from the pan.
5. Brush a thin coating of olive oil over the parchment paper.
6. Create a layer of sliced potatoes, grated cheeses, sliced onions and sprinkles of salt, pepper and olive oil.
7. Repeat layers until the torte fills about three-fourths of the depth of the baking dish. Finish with a layer of grated cheese and top with a dusting of nutmeg.
8. Bake at 325 for at least an hour and a half. Remove the potato torte from the oven when the potatoes are fork tender and the top is lightly browned.