The Perfect Maine Baked Potato
- 1 Maine Russet-style potato per person
- 1 or 2 pats of butter per person
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash and dry potato. Place in preheated oven. Do NOT wrap in foil. A little butter rubbed on the skin will ensure an even crispier potato skin. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Check to see if potato is done by inserting dinner fork into the potato. If it goes in easily, the potato is done. Bake until completely cooked.
- Make a cut the length of the potato. Pinch gently to open.
- Add butter as you wish, also salt and pepper to taste. Sit back and enjoy! Don’t forget to eat the crispy potato skin. Spread a little butter on the inside of the skin…salt and pepper… Delicious!
You may do many things with a Maine baked potato, add any accoutrements which you desire, any kinds of toppings from sour cream to chili. But for solid comfort food at its best, it is hard to beat a plain, buttered Maine baked potato.